On May 21 - 24 in the Adelbert Gymnasium, 2128 Adelbert Rd., the 70th
annual Case Western Reserve University Book Sale will feature display tables filled with more than 70,000 items including books, prints, maps and atlases, sheet music, CDs, DVDs, records, play scripts, memorabilia and more.
Regular sale hours are noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 24, which is $5 Box Day, during which shoppers can bring and fill any size box for that amount.
Regular hours are free. There is, however, a pre-sale preview, admission for which is $20, from 10 a.m. to noon, on May 21. At that time, shoppers may scour the collection before doors officially open to the public.
Highlighted items in this year's sale include:
- An extensive rock ‘n’ roll collection (books, CDs, memorabilia), including a 17-box collection of items donated anonymously
- An unusually large collection of books on the entertainment industry
- 18th- and 19th-century first editions
- A 1973 first edition of Toni Morrison’s Nobel Prize-winning Sula
- A Leo Leonni folio published by Verve
- An extensive collection of science-fiction magazines from the 1940s and ’50s
- A four-volume set of The Life of Jesus Christ
, illustrated by James Tissot
- A deep collection of plays, playbills and theater-related books and texts
- Collections of Zane Grey and Hardy Boys books
- A wide selection of gun, knife and survivalist’s books
- How-to books, games, puzzles and graduate-level text books
for a more extensive list of items.
Book donations are accepted year round. Drop off is at 10620 Cedar Ave., between Fairhill and E. 105th, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please go to the package delivery dock on Cedar and ring the bell. You are responsible for unloading your owns boxes. Pick-ups can be arranged for those who have six or more boxes of books. Encyclopedias, magazines, journals, or textbooks in the social sciences that are more than three years old are not accepted. For additional information, or to arrange a pick-up, please contact the Siegal Lifelong Learning office at 216-368-2090.